Neely Henry Forums

Forums for Lake Neely Henry and the surrounding areas. Back to www.neelyhenry.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

NeelyHenry.com has a facebook page. Check us out here NeelyHenry.com on Facebook

#1 2008-11-12 06:16:43 pm

smallie

Looking for some info...

Hi,
I found this website in search of information on Neely Henry.  I am hoping to fish this lake in March with the WBT as a co-angler and was just looking for some tips.  I am from central PA and am not at all familiar with big lakes like this, but I love to tournament fish and want to give it try as a co-angler this year!  My fiance and I fish local tournaments here in PA and have done very well so far, this past year was our 2nd year fishing competitively.  We had two 1st places, three 2nd's, and a 3rd!!  His dream is to make it to the professional level as well, but is telling me to go for it first.  Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Janelle

#2 2008-11-13 07:38:35 am

Jay
Administrator
Website

Re: Looking for some info...

Hi and welcome to the site.

It sounds like you two ("yall" down here) are doing great!  King Fisher is a member of this site and is a local guide.  He has been on some good fish for a while now.  He lives on Neely Henry and gets to fish A LOT more than most of us.  You can read some of his post and learn some about what he is doing.

Neely Henry is a unique place.  Down river looks like a good size lake and upriver from downtown Gadsden fishes like a creek.   We have plenty of coosa spotted bass.  2-3 pound spotted bass and a kicker largemouth will get you up front.  In March however, it takes pretty heavy stringers to win.  But don't think for one minute that you can't generate a heavy string with these spotted bass.  My lure of choice is the original Bill Lewis Rat-L-trap (chrome with blue black, 1/4 or 1/2 ounce) especially if their feeding.  You can catch spots as fast as you can cast and even land some doubles (one fish on each treble). 

If the bite is a little slow I'll switch to a 6" electric red worm.  The worm I use is from a company called "curly tail" from Birmingham, AL.  Some of the local shops down here carry them.  That might seem a little old school but I'm very confident with my T-rig.  Others like throwing jigs and grubs and such.

If I get a limit of spots I then move up to the shallow grass or boat docks and start hunting for that kicker largemouth.   I love buzzbaits and other topwater plugs like the tiny torpedo if conditions are right for the grass.  I will work boat docks to death with my t-rig or jig-n-pig.  If all goes well I might get to cull some spots.  Having five spots in the boat sure does ease the pressure so you can relax and concentrate on that one kicker. 

Check out http://lakes.alabamapower.com and print the generation schedule for Neely Henry.  When the dam is generating, the current picks up and will turn the spots feeding lamp on.  Also, here is a good article http://fishin.com/reports/al/neely.htm about the lake and fish behavior across all 4 seasons.  Dustin King's (King Fisher) website is http://www.dustinkingfishing.com.  He can put you on the fish!  GOOD LUCK!

#3 2008-11-14 08:44:43 am

smallie

Re: Looking for some info...

Thanks for all of the info Jay!!  Love the site by the way!!
Thanks again,
Janelle

Board footer